Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
[IDEA] Test games for different types of operating systems

Post [IDEA] Test games for different types of operating systems 
i am looking forward to CGA 2, maybe they have a big suprise for us! or if not maybe they will now  big grin

also what would be a good thing is game testers for different PC Specs & OS (operating systems) info could then be posted about how the games perform on different PCs

what would also be a good idea is have 2 versions of the game 1 with the basic files so the game only just works, and the other version with all the files etc..

i would like some feedback and suggestions..

Shaun.

CGA forum has a suggestion section.
Now for some feedback:
CGA forum has a suggestion section.

looking for some free downloads , aren't you ?
 nod

Post Re: CGA 2 things.. 
cozzie wrote:

also what would be a good thing is game testers for different PC Specs & OS (operating systems) info could then be posted about how the games perform on different PCs

This is a bit of a waste considering that it is rare for anyone to have an exact duplicate of someone's machine.  Some people overclock, others custom build, and even those prepacked junk things retailers sell as computers aren't exactly identical.

cozzie wrote:

what would also be a good idea is have 2 versions of the game 1 with the basic files so the game only just works, and the other version with all the files etc..

i would like some feedback and suggestions..

Why waste the storage space of CGA for 2 versions of the same game?  Just have the full versions (where possible).  This saves hard drive space for more games, screenshots, reviews, etc--and with the amount of games out there that are sliding into abandoned status, that space will be needed to preserve the classics for future generations.

*predicts this topic will either be moved to Suggestions or locked soon*

New ISO's: http://forum.classic-gaming.net/viewtopic.php?t=670
Warez list: http://forum.classic-gaming.net/viewtopic.php?t=309
CGN has these games: http://forum.classic-gaming.net/viewtopic.php?t=130

cozzie wrote:

Testing games on serveral operating systems is never a bad idea, for example Settlers 2 does work in MS-DOS 6, Windows 95, 98, ME and XP but doesn't work in 2000.

But like someone else already mentioned that will take ages but when we have, lets say five-ten crewmembers who like to test games on several operating system (I'm thinking of: DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003) than this isn't an impossible thing and it will give CGA even more quality.

#Edit:
Oldgames.nu also has something like this; just take a look at this page: http://tools.oldgames.us/specific.php

Res Santenera,
http://www.classic-gaming.net

Res wrote:
But like someone else already mentioned that will take ages but when we have, lets say five-ten crewmembers who like to test games on several operating system (I'm thinking of: DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003) than this isn't an impossible thing and it will give CGA even more quality.

That would ask a lot of time and a considerabel effort from those.....
They wouldn't only testing the games they like to play, also others genres , if you get what i mean here.
It would also involve them more than a occasional screenshot-taking or game-reviewing. Even for a (simple?) game upload their are dropouts.

Hmmm, maybe.
Anyway, i guess it isn't for directly?

Have taken a look at the oldgames page, i must admit it's a good idea .

old_gamer wrote:
Res wrote:

That would ask a lot of time and a considerabel effort from those.....
They wouldn't only testing the games they like to play, also others genres , if you get what i mean here.
It would also involve them more than a occasional screenshot-taking or game-reviewing. Even for a (simple?) game upload their are dropouts.

Hmmm, maybe.
Anyway, i guess it isn't for directly?

Have taken a look at the oldgames page, i must admit it's a good idea .

Don't worry, I'll code some solution for this problem  nod

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1