Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
[IDEA] Boot disks

Post [IDEA] Boot disks 
With all the fiery hoops we have to jump through to get old games working again, it might be very nice if CGN could get and offer some good DOS boot disks, and maybe even info on how to make a boot floppy into a bootable CD-rom (i know how to do that with Nero 5.5, maybe someone will have good advice for other burning wares).

The challenge here, though, is getting ahold of good disks for many different systems, keyboard support for Scandinavian KB's, NTFS support (is that even possible?), support for Laptops (often Boot disks dont know how to use their sound-cards), and much more, but maybe our little community will pull through smile

Feel free to pile on ideas and knowledge here, i think this could be a good addition if done well.

While a good idea, it would be too huge of an undertaking as there are way too many hardware/OS configuration options.  We'd end up with more boot disks than games.

New ISO's: http://forum.classic-gaming.net/viewtopic.php?t=670
Warez list: http://forum.classic-gaming.net/viewtopic.php?t=309
CGN has these games: http://forum.classic-gaming.net/viewtopic.php?t=130

Yeah, theres that, it would be very hard to set it up and test disks and the like, but maybe it could be pulled off, though it would certainly need a guy dedicated to it (not me though, i dont have the nessesary skill with this to pull it off).

I too think this is actually quite a good idea, but because of the huge amount of work it would be to get someting like this done it might be a more reasonable option to write an article about it.
This article would then be somekind of tutorial on how to make a bootdisk that would fit your needs on your own system. Or an overview of the options you can set with a bootdisk to get the desired result.
I know it can be quite a challenge to create a bootdisk to optimize a pc for old games and even with an article like this it would still be a challenge, but at least it would help the people who want to create one.

That could work, Platypus, definately a good idea.

And maybe theres some tools out there that could futher help people to create their own disks.

Do you guys/gals/whatever never heard of GOOGLE?

You can find thousands ready to use of bootflops there, plenty manuals, "howto', whatnot to make one.

Whole sites are dedicated and filled with bootflops, bootCD's.

Sites with all kind booting images you can imagine, from MS DOS to LINUX, W95 to WXP, in all flavors, covering all your needs.

Grobut wrote:
NTFS support (is that even possible?)

Yes, definitive yes.
BUT: NOT advisable, All NTFS OS dislike third party writing on their partitions, NTFS OS usualy keeps records of what happens on their disk, you WILL screw your system. Better create an extra FAT32 partition if you want to use a bootflop, use this to install/unzip the games in your usual OS, and access it with a bootflop.
That is also the reason that most, but not all, bootflops can only read NTFS. The read/write NTFS bootflops are usualy used for maintenance/rescue.

One example of such a dedicated bootflop site is this

Aye, we know g00gle, but many other abandonware sites offer boot disks, though often they are rather limited in scope, hence i thought maybe CGN could take the ball and run with it, and maybe do something very cool with it smile

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1