Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
XP Disk Defragmenter

Post XP Disk Defragmenter 
Are there any GOOD and inexpensive (free if possible) disk defragmenter programs for XP?
I'm starting to lose my patience with the one that came with XP.
Who makes that one by the way?

i use the one provided by windows only cause i dont trust everything and anything available on the net.anyways there is always www.google.com to search.

Maniax7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

hhhhm um try five star downloads their pritty good for free or trial based software i think you might be able to find somthig there  big grin

hhhhm um try five star downloads their pritty good for free or trial based software i think you might be able to find somthig there  big grin

Five star downloads? :-/

5 star programs would be nice, but can I trust the people who rated them that high?  big grin

Well, I'll tell you why I'm interested in a new defragger.
I have a TV card that I use to capture video at a high rate and I have an 8 gig partition set up just for capturing.  The capture process is so system intensive that I would like to have any files in the partition bumped up to the top of the partition.  (If the hard drive has to skip over files during recording, I get dropped frames.)  
Unfortunately, the XP defragger doesn't work like Win 9x's defragger.  In fact, XP is so inane, that even if the partition is empty and I copy a file into the partition, the file doesn't even get copied to the top of the partition (unlike Win9x).

I even tried making the partition FAT32, but defragging the drive is much slower and I have the same problems.

5 star programs would be nice, but can I trust the people who rated them that high?  big grin

Well, I'll tell you why I'm interested in a new defragger.
I have a TV card that I use to capture video at a high rate and I have an 8 gig partition set up just for capturing.  The capture process is so system intensive that I would like to have any files in the partition bumped up to the top of the partition.  (If the hard drive has to skip over files during recording, I get dropped frames.)  
Unfortunately, the XP defragger doesn't work like Win 9x's defragger.  In fact, XP is so inane, that even if the partition is empty and I copy a file into the partition, the file doesn't even get copied to the top of the partition (unlike Win9x).

I even tried making the partition FAT32, but defragging the drive is much slower and I have the same problems.

You can see the name of the original developer of XP's defrag utility in its about dialog. Google it, and you'll find their improved defrag suite, which name I forgot disgusted

You can see the name of the original developer of XP's defrag utility in its about dialog. Google it, and you'll find their improved defrag suite, which name I forgot disgusted

Thanks.  The people who wrote the XP defragger was called Executive Software, but they've changed their name to Diskkeeper.  After searching around and looking through old messages on forums from other sites, I think that the main defraggers out there are O & O (too expensive), Diskkeeper (the least expensive), and Perfect Disk from Raxco (supposedly endorsed by Microsoft).
I downloaded the trial version of Perfect Disk...maybe I'll post a message later to say what its like.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1