Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Active desktop help

Post Active desktop help 
I was toying around with active desktop the other day and not really getting anywhere so I thought I would see if anyone in here could give me a hand or point me in the right direction. What I would like to do is have gif's or jpg's that I can click on that will open web links or executables or directory area's. I would like to do this so I can have an interactive bacground that I can click parts of to open things. I know how to save a gif and lock it so I can have an animated spot but not much else. If any of you intrepid coders out there have any thoughts let me know.

Active Desktop renders the background as a webpage. So if you would use a html file as background with pictures on it that fit wel together and put links on those pictures, that should work... At least, that's what I think how it works :P

Active desktop is _really_ bug prone, so I suggest not using it.
Really, you'll be looking at an error page weekly at least disgusted

It will increase your boot time.
It's running on the background, eating up system resources.
If you allow web based stuff it will connect and check the source on regular times.
It opens extra ports in your firewall ... extra security issues.

Hell, why use a fast PC if you stuff it up with totally useless eye candies ?

But I like eye candy cry baby  Seriously though if I'm going to play a hardware monster then I turn active desktop off and anything else off in the task manager. Also I don't want it to be externally connected it's just to make my desktop more interesting for my non-gaming time like net use, music, emulators, typing assignments, when my math prof has been droning on for a half hour, etc. I have found a couple of active themes but none I'm really happy with. I guess what I need now is some sort of guide. Like an html for idiots or something.

It's running on the background, eating up system resources.

This isn`t true . If you put a jpg or bmp file as a desktoip wallpaper it will use twice or even more resurces than a active desktop jpg file because windows converts the wallpapers for desktop and the size of it is 2 mb so it will use a lot more resoruces

Active Desktop requires Windows to load yet another module resulting ultimately in the use of more resources than a "normal" desktop.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1