Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Music and their styles

Post Music and their styles 
Let's face it: when I read on a music website that the band creates hyper-doom-trash-surf-zombie-metal then it's not really saying anything about the music they play. Period.

I'm not only talking about this name but also when it comes to terms as black-metal, heavy-metal, crossover-metal, scream-o, hardcore or whatever. I think music-styles are only used to give something a name: to make it exist. I don't like placing bands in their own little space of 'their' styles. The name 'style' is the same as calling something 'fruit': you have bananas, oranges, apples etc. But within these fruits, you got pomgranades, granny smith, golden delicious.

As is for musical styles. However, you can't argue with someone over an apple: an apple is an apple. When it comes to music-styles: there is one who puts Children of Bodom in the black-metal box while somebody else puts it in the speed-metal box. That's why I think styles are futile, confusing and bad for the creativity of a band. Just listen to music and like it or not.

What do you guys think about this?

PS: Same goes for the underground bands who played their own music before it got commercialy accepted by the public: they are only hated because they are well-known outside the regular listeners. Their 'style' is accepted by the public. Yeah...style...

When you're this cool...
They're out to get you...

- The Fonz -

I think you really got a point here and I like the comparance with the fruit :P

The problem is that the definitions of the different genres and their sub-genres and another problem is that whenever a band feels the need for it or just thinks it's cool, they think of a new name to stamp on their "unique" style. Like a local band from here called DJ18 (they suck, but that doesn't matter). They call their music lame-core. Well, they're right on the lame part... But what is lame-core supposed to be? Or a better known band, Coalchamber, who liked to call their music spooky-core and again I go like "WTF!?".

"Yeah well, we are the only band known to make spooky-core." <= in other words, spooky-core doesn't actually exist, they made it up while most people just put them in the nu-metal corner. But then again, what is nu-metal? The most given answer to that question is the following:
"Nu-metal is wannabe bullshit music like Limb Bizkit and Linkin' Park!"
Then why is it that bands like System of a Down, Slipknot, the earlier mentioned Coalchamber and even Devildriver are also put in that corner? They don't even remotely sound like eachother and still they're being put in the same corner, just like people say that an apple is an apple and a banana is a banana.

And lastly, I don't really care about what style or genre a band is supposed to be, just as long as it sounds good it's fine with me.

And lastly, I don't really care about what style or genre a band is supposed to be, just as long as it sounds good it's fine with me.

And so it's how it should be.

I totally agree: the people who put bands inside a certain style have their own interpretations about it. Let's stick to Coal Chamber: they say they create(d) Spooky-core. Since Spooky-core isn't something people can relate to, they still try to make it understandable for themselves...like I said before: to make it exist and to make it recognizable for them. To make it something you can point out to. I think it's just people and their truth that wlill become well-known to a large group of people. The name 'nu-metal' is a name someone came up with and spreaded it through a community. In Ireland you have, for example, multiple words for a cat (in small community's and villages). When a word is recognizable for a large amount of people, then it exists. Coal Chamber can/could have brag(ged) about what they call Spooky-Core. They have/had a large fanbase who recognized that their music is Spooky-Core. It's their 'made' fact. As a bystander, you would say Coal Chamber is Nu-Metal band which is their fact. To us, the thinkers wink, it's a matter of opinion or...

we just couldn't give a shit...'cause 'Rowboat' is a sweet track!

Oh yeah, and I like fruit and cats nod

When you're this cool...

- The Fonz -

I don't know all of the titles of the songs of Coalchamber, but in general, I pretty much like them all :P

They kind of fit within my "style" :P

When you're this cool...

- The Fonz -

I thought nu-metal was rock influenced by new wave like "The Killers" or "The Bravery" other "the" bands, etc.

I guess that explains what nu-metal is supposed to be :P

Most people I hang out with are pretty much into deathmetal, grindcore, gothic metal, thrashmetal or doom and what those people say is that when they don't like a certain band they say it's just some cheesy nu-metal rubbish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu-metal

Most people I hang out with are pretty much into deathmetal, grindcore, gothic metal, thrashmetal or doom and what those people say is that when they don't like a certain band they say it's just some cheesy nu-metal rubbish...

Haha...yeah sounds really familiar to me. I like different kinds of styles (to stay in the style of this topic smile) and I guess some bands are nu-metallish or something.  It's really gotten a bad word in metal music.

When you're this cool...

- The Fonz -

Platypus wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu-metal

Haha...yeah sounds really familiar to me. I like different kinds of styles (to stay in the style of this topic smile) and I guess some bands are nu-metallish or something.  It's really gotten a bad word in metal music.

Yeah, for no good reason actually... I like Slipknot and Coal Chamber and a little Linkin' Park every now and then won't hurt me either... Problem is that especially the self-called "real metalheads" define nu-metal as being rubbish.

great point very great point i agree if its good i like it not this o rap sucks and this is rap and stuff we must udge them on indivial band not by genre(i personally dont really enjoy some rap artists such as mike jones and etc i am a rock fan and not the new bands which make no sense i am the old rock fan)(pink flyod,black sabbith,jethro tull,led zepplin,u2,also not rock run dmc and 2pac) but i belive you have a point and what you say is true

BOTTOMLINE: WORD

I don't really care about the genre of the music I hear. What matters is if I like it or not.

I can't say I listen to (to stay in the 'style' of) Metal all of the time. I like Salsa, Classic music and old Rock songs from Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Also, I liked the new Green Day album. Older work is better but it's not that bad at all!

Ah, crap (share this one with you too, then): I once went to a concert of the Corrs and I sung my head off! big grin Hahaha!

<Off-topic>
Oh, and wish me luck...tomorrow I have to pass for my drivers test! I'll let you know how it went.
</Off-topic>

By the way...I failed  disgusted

When you're this cool...

- The Fonz -
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1