Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
punk reccomendations

Post punk reccomendations 
I've been into a lot of punk (old and newschool) lately, but don't know of many bands...  
Any punk bands you think I should listen to?

SAY NO TO MONOPOLIES, BOYCOTT MICRO$OFT!

(Assuming you mean Blink 182, Good Charlotte, etc.) Newschool punk sucks.
Some people like Anti-Flag, Pennywise, Offspring for Newschool Punk but to be honest with you Newschool Punk is for n00bs, Newschool Punk is the Nu Metal of Punk in my opinion. Don't go there if you seriously want to listen to Punk. As for Oldschool, it depends..
There are purely Oldschool ones like The Misfits, The Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, and The Sexpistols, they're pretty good. There are other bands like The Clash but I don't think they fall in line with what the sound of Punk was considered to be. Punk isn't really supposed to be a music genre, it was supposed to be more of a subculture thing, the music didn't have much to do with it at first until other bands came along.
Then there are Oldschool Hardcore and Thrash bands. Black Flag is awesome. GG Allin's bands are pretty cool too. As for Thrash, it's a Metal genre but there are some Thrash bands that are considered to be more Punk than Metal, or at least more Hardcore than Metal, such as Cryptic Slaughter's first album, along with Corrosion of Conformity's early stuff. Then again you could also label them Crossover, which is the middle ground between Punk and Thrash Metal. Bands like Stormtroopers of Death for instance. I think Suicidal Tendencies also falls in line with that.
In fact though, most early Thrash Metal bands fall in line with both Punks and Metalheads when it comes to sound since it was basically a middle ground for Punk and Metal. Once the 90s came along though it all went to hell in my eyes.
There's a lot more to be said but whatever, if you want to listen to punk, avoid that Newschool crap. Newschool Punk is the Punk you see now, which is just as bad as the Metal you see now. Both genre's were supposed to be underground, but then in the 90s they both got more and more into the mainstream becoming that which they stood up against in the first place. Newschool Punk could also include Grunge bands but I don't like them at all.
This is written from a more Metal point of view though, as I prefer Metal over Punk. If you want a list of bands to check out then fine:

- Black Flag
- The Ramones
- Dead Kennedys
- The Sexpistols
- The Misfits
- GG Allin (various bands)
- Suicidal Tendencies
- Cryptic Slaughter
- Corrosion of Conformity
- Stormtroopers of Death
- Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
- Chronical Diarrhoea
- Fearless Iranians From Hell
- Dead Brain Cells
- Dead Horse
- Nuclear Assault
- GWAR
- David Brockie Experience

Please note that all these bands do not go into one genre. Some are Oldschool, others are Thrash or Crossover, but I think they're what you're looking for. I hope you're listening to the right kind of punk, and I hope you like these bands.

i already knew anti-flag stick out tongue

SAY NO TO MONOPOLIES, BOYCOTT MICRO$OFT!

Anti-Flag sucks ass. "Kill The Rich"? That's funny considering Anti-Flag is signed to a major record company and enjoy the lives of luxury. Stupid liberals... Anti-Flag's hypocrisy and tasteless liberal propaganda is worse than System of a Down and Rage Against The Machine put together.

Well said :P hehe, allthough I find Rage Against the Machine to be pretty enjoyable, but I agree that Anti-Flag is awfull... One of the worst bands I have ever seen live.

Anti-Flag sucks ass. "Kill The Rich"? That's funny considering Anti-Flag is signed to a major record company and enjoy the lives of luxury. Stupid liberals... Anti-Flag's hypocrisy and tasteless liberal propaganda is worse than System of a Down and Rage Against The Machine put together.

I think you mean "Syndrome of a Down." wink

LOL, yes, Syndrome of a Down is nothing but nu metal trash if you ask me, Anti-Flag are just as bad as Good Charlotte, and Rage Against The Machine reminds me of Limp Bizkit.

Hold on there. Rage and sucky Limp Bizkit have way different sounds. Even though Rage's message may have been muddled due to commercial success it's still good political listening fun.

Sleep Now in the Fire
Rock!

Not really. Both of them focus on that rapcore shit, both of them have a gimmick and a face for the mainstream, both of them have retarded messages behind the songs, and lastly, Limp Bizkit's instruments obviously suck, but RATM's are not only overrated and simple but they focus on nu metal-ish catchiness to ensure succes upon dumbed down ears. It's not as bad as Limp Bizkit, but it's still really bad.
Anyone that actually values RATM's political message is an idiot and should be shot.

Anyone that actually values RATM's political message is an idiot and should be shot.

Now that's a bit harsh now, isn't it? Anyway, I don't care for any messages in music of any kind... I don't really care for good or bad lyrics either. In most music I listen to, you can't even make out the lyrics anyway...

So what that RATM has a bullshit message in their music? Their music isn't quite as nu-metalish as bands like Limp-Bizkit, Linkin' Park or POD (is blasphemy even to call that metal at all...), it's actually more towards punk than towards nu-metal. Pretty mainstream punk though, but who cares? At least I don't... I could care less than whether a band is commercial or not. In the end, all of them want to sell their records and concert tickets, the way they try to accomplish that is completely irrelevant.

Heck, I'm even listening to Morningwood lately and I think that I allready know what some of you are going to say to that, but I'll keep it to myself so I won't spoil the moment :P

Panzerfaust wrote:

Now that's a bit harsh now, isn't it? Anyway, I don't care for any messages in music of any kind... I don't really care for good or bad lyrics either. In most music I listen to, you can't even make out the lyrics anyway...

So what that RATM has a bullshit message in their music? Their music isn't quite as nu-metalish as bands like Limp-Bizkit, Linkin' Park or POD (is blasphemy even to call that metal at all...), it's actually more towards punk than towards nu-metal. Pretty mainstream punk though, but who cares? At least I don't... I could care less than whether a band is commercial or not. In the end, all of them want to sell their records and concert tickets, the way they try to accomplish that is completely irrelevant.

Heck, I'm even listening to Morningwood lately and I think that I allready know what some of you are going to say to that, but I'll keep it to myself so I won't spoil the moment :P

It isn't harsh at all, genocide is all over the place nowadays.
But anyways.. RATM sounds nothing like Punk... Have you even heard any punk to begin with? Punk was started as rock with no "black" influences, in other words, no funk or jazz or anything of the sort. RATM isn't punk at all. Not even in the essence of it. They're a mainstream band with a bullshit message. Sure, Sex Pistols may have been full of it too, but at least they're not even considered punk by the elitists anymore. But whatever, I don't like much punk anyways.
As for a band being commercial: All bands that do end up sucking. The mass media is ignorant and can only appreciate shitty bubblegum pop music, that's why when a band either sells out or is commercial to begin with, it sucks. RATM is just shitty commercial rapcore band. All rapcore bands are shitty. RATM is no different than all the others. There are very few bands that are in the mainstream that actually sound good, and it's ussually because they didn't start out as such in the first place.
And don't get me wrong, most bands, even underground ones, hope to earn money. But i'm not talking about that, i'm talking about the sound. The easiest way to earn money is to become a bubblegum pop band that relies on simple music and catchiness so no one will be left behind and so everyone will "get it". That's what RATM is... Just like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Shitnot, and all the others.
Saying that you enjoy nu metal and rapcore and all that other junk is just as bad as saying you like N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

This is just a case of a huge lack of respect of someone else's musical taste. I, for one, don't give a shit about whether a band is considered mainstream or not. I listen to something and decide for myself whether I like it or not.

If you really want to listen only to the obscure, try something like Squarepusher or Aphex Twin... Maybe you'd like Dilinger Espace Plan? Pure chaos. Or try the Locust, Rompeprop, Amen, Crematory, Orphanage, Laibach, Peter, Moshpit, the Berzerker...

But don't start with saying that it's bad to like the so called "mainstream" music, have some respect.

Oh please, dont give me that crap. I don't like any of those "obscure" bands you mentioned. In fact, most of what I listen to is classical music. I'm not saying only underground bands are good, I am however saying only bands with any musical talent are good.
Commercial music is just as brainles as commercial films. What's my problem with mainstream music? I've said it plenty of times by now. It's simple and made for people that lack an ear for music. At least in the underground there a few good metal bands out there, such as Burzum. You will never find that type of complexity in any mainstream bubblegumpop band.
I disrespect your music taste because it is bland, common, and idiotic. Saying that you like nu metal (or any other bublegumrock) is as bad as saying you like Titanic and the remake of Dawn of the Dead or like saying that the only games you play are sports games on brand new consoles. Or are you going to tell me that any of those bands you mentioned have more technicality than anything made by Mozart or Bach?
Yes, i'm sure you'll say that music doesn't have to be technical in order to be good. But I disagree. Music is a form of art, and what you're doing is putting more value in the little doodles you make while you're bored in class than the works of Da Vinci for instance.

Oh boo hoo! BOO HOO! My music taste was... DISRESPECTED! It means nothing now! Oh noes! My life is teh ruined! BOO HOO! Mommy, some man online that I will never meet said my music taste was stupid! BOO HOO!

Oh boo hoo! BOO HOO! My music taste was... DISRESPECTED! It means nothing now! Oh noes! My life is teh ruined! BOO HOO! Mommy, some man online that I will never meet said my music taste was stupid! BOO HOO!

You're one to speak, Mr. RAAWRGH BUBBALGUM POP MUST BE ANGRY ON INTERNET  sarcastic eye roll

PS. Take Rommel out of your avatar. You don't deserve him.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next