Uploading in Filezilla \ Other Clients & Submitting

Before you start uploading contributions to our site, better ask if we need/want them first.

Uploading in Filezilla \ Other Clients & Submitting

Postby dragonman4 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:05 am

The first thing you must do is create an uploading account on the site, which can be made by clicking ‘Manage Uploaded Files’ and after that it should be quite self explanatory.

The next thing you must do to be able to upload files is an upload client. You can survive with using IE to upload files but I wouldn’t recommend it. You can download the one I use here. http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
Download the normal ‘Filezilla’ you don’t have to download the server version of it.

After installing it, you must run it. In the bar on the top, input the address, username and password and click quickconnect.
Address: ftp.classic-gaming.net
Username: Whatever you put in when you registered your upload account. For me it would be dragonman4.
Password: Whatever you put in when you registered your upload account.

Now that you are logged in you should see something like this.

When you have successfully logged in, browse around using Filezilla and access the folder where the file you want to upload is in.

Double click on the ‘submissions’ folder. Since this is your first time there would be nothing in there. Now all you have to do is drag and drop the file you want to upload. After you have dropped the file into the submission folder you should be able to see your file being uploaded at the bottom of the client.

You can pause the upload by right-clicking and selecting ‘pause’. If you leave Filezilla after you paused it and then go back in, all you have to do is right click the file you are uploading and then select ‘Process Queue’. A new window will open. Select ‘Resume’ and then go to OK.

After you have completed uploading you must submit the file you uploaded so that it can be moderated and then added to the site.

Note: Uploading in other clients is generally the same

*UPDATED*
I thought I might as well include a submitting tutorial since some people have been having trouble with submitting.
Ok first off click the 'Submit Content' button on the side of your screen.

A screen should come up similiar to the one below. If another one comes up it means that the submissions are full (100 unmoderated entries) or the submission system is down.

Ok first, before you can submit the actual game file you have to submit the game information. This can be done by clicking 'Game'. When you've done that a screen like this should come up.

Now fill in the necessary information
Name: The name of the Game
Official Site: Some old games' Official Site's might be dead so you might want to put a link to a Wikipedia or Mobygame entry.
Links: Any additional links
System: What system the game belongs to
Genre: What is the games genre
Developer: The games developer. If CGN doesn't have an entry for the game company you should add one by going back to the first submission page and clicking 'Game Company'
Publisher: The game publisher. If CGN doesn't have an entry for the game company you should add one by going back to the first submission page and clicking 'Game Company'
Year: The year the game was released

Ok. Hopefully you had no trouble with that. Next go back to the 'Submit Content' page and select 'Download' or 'CD ISO'. This will allow you to submit your game file.
A screen like the one below should now be in front of you
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/5530/sub43vo.png

Select your system and keep on moving. The next screen should have a list of game pages that are on the site. Select your game and a screen similiar to the one below should pop up. Your page should have the game file on the page with a checkbox next to it. Like the one below.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5841/sub77bv.png

Now all you have to do is check the box and click submit. It will then be in time moderated and added to the site.

Note: Submitting screenshots, reviews etc. are pretty self explanatory and I'm sure you can figure out how to do them on your own
Last edited by dragonman4 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
dragonman4
CGN Support Member
CGN Support Member

Postby Legendary on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 am

I made some changes and stickified this post. If anyone has questions about this, please ask them here. :)
Legendary
CGN Support Member
CGN Support Member

Filezilla - Disconnection problem

Postby tsakali_gr on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi!

I installed FileZilla and i am uploading an .iso file of the game Quest For Glory 5 and i keep getting disconnected and re connected all the time. I saw at the introduction notes of the FTP from the site, that it says something about being disconnected if you stay idle for 5 minutes but i am uploading continuously a large file of 616mb's and i wonder why this is happening.
I also noticed in the settings tab of filezilla that there is a Keep Alive Command which i have enabled and yet nothing changes. Would you please be kind enough to help me with this minor glitch??

Thanks a lot in advance!
tsakali_gr
CGN Member
CGN Member

Re: Filezilla - Disconnection problem

Postby grades on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:16 pm

tsakali_gr wrote:Hi!

I installed FileZilla and i am uploading an .iso file of the game Quest For Glory 5 and i keep getting disconnected and re connected all the time. I saw at the introduction notes of the FTP from the site, that it says something about being disconnected if you stay idle for 5 minutes but i am uploading continuously a large file of 616mb's and i wonder why this is happening.
I also noticed in the settings tab of filezilla that there is a Keep Alive Command which i have enabled and yet nothing changes. Would you please be kind enough to help me with this minor glitch??

Thanks a lot in advance!

How frequently are you being disconnected?
grades
Absolutely fabulous!
Absolutely fabulous!

Postby tsakali_gr on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Well i haven't noticed the exact time because i am doing other things while i am uploading but i guess it's something like every 5-7 minutes. I have put the reconnect retries to 999 so that i keep re connecting. I don't know what is wrong, and it's frustrating because the upload status bar is progressing very slow. What is wrong?
tsakali_gr
CGN Member
CGN Member

Postby grades on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:48 pm

tsakali_gr wrote:Well i haven't noticed the exact time because i am doing other things while i am uploading but i guess it's something like every 5-7 minutes. I have put the reconnect retries to 999 so that i keep re connecting. I don't know what is wrong, and it's frustrating because the upload status bar is progressing very slow. What is wrong?

Do you use multiple concurrent upload connections? What is your FTP username?
grades
Absolutely fabulous!
Absolutely fabulous!

Postby tsakali_gr on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:59 pm

I am not very familiar with all the FTP options, but i guess to your question i should answer no, because i think i am using only one connection. Until now i have managed to upload through the filezill ftp system around 250mb's of the total 616mb's because it's taking too long with the continuous connections-disconnections. If it helps, my username for the ftp account is the same as my username at the forum, which is "tsakali_gr''.

I'll check again tomorrow to see if you've figured this out.
Thanks a lot in advance!
tsakali_gr
CGN Member
CGN Member

Postby dragonman4 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:28 pm

It says this at the start when you connect.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 5 minutes of inactivity.
So while you are doing other things (like I do) after 5 minutes you get disconnected from the server but your upload is not interupted. It continues uploading until it has finished.

If your upload gets disconnected then it must be something else other than the 5 minute thing
dragonman4
CGN Support Member
CGN Support Member

Postby dragonman4 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:54 am

I've updated the tutorial a bit so that it includes submitting games since a few people have been having problems with it
dragonman4
CGN Support Member
CGN Support Member

Postby dgsige on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:28 pm

I was trying to upload mgs1 disk1. It was at 30% and I decided to play ps2. After a while I came back, I had a "timeout error" and a to restart the upload :(
Any way to avoid it?
"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hit man or a video gamer."--Jack Thompson. The lowest IQ human being ever.
dgsige
CGN Soldier
CGN Soldier

Postby grades on Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:40 pm

dgsige wrote:I was trying to upload mgs1 disk1. It was at 30% and I decided to play ps2. After a while I came back, I had a "timeout error" and a to restart the upload :(
Any way to avoid it?

Depends on why it timed out. Does your app have an automatic retry function?
grades
Absolutely fabulous!
Absolutely fabulous!

Postby dgsige on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:04 pm

Yes it does. Right now I'm trying to upload it while doing other stuff and it's working out fine. Now I just have to find stuff to do on my pc during a few hours (ps: How can I resume a previous upload?)
"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hit man or a video gamer."--Jack Thompson. The lowest IQ human being ever.
dgsige
CGN Soldier
CGN Soldier

Postby grades on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:16 pm

dgsige wrote:Yes it does. Right now I'm trying to upload it while doing other stuff and it's working out fine. Now I just have to find stuff to do on my pc during a few hours (ps: How can I resume a previous upload?)

Are you using filezilla? It *should* as you if you want to overwrite or resume the transfer when restarting it...
grades
Absolutely fabulous!
Absolutely fabulous!

Postby dgsige on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:52 pm

Oh, ok I've got it now. Upload is at 80% and nothing to do on the pc. *draws psp*
dgsige
CGN Soldier
CGN Soldier

Postby Disthron on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:09 am

Hello

I have been wonting to use an ftp program for a while now. I've been using the native IE ftp system but it keeps droping out and duson't seem to have a resume funktion.

Any way with filezilla, and other programs I have tryed, I keep geting this error saying "can not recive directory listing". After that it won't let me try to upload anything. I tryed draging and droping it and right clicking and selecting upload but it dusn't wont to do it. Can you give me any assistence pleas?
Disthron
CGN Starter
CGN Starter

Next

Return to Contributions