Classic Gaming Network Forum Index
CGN Site HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
the-underdogs.org

Post the-underdogs.org 
for those who taugh the-underdogs was dead ... it's only their domain name that is expire

I stopped going to HOTU awhile back because of the incredibly long loading times.

I think HOTU has a hidden agenda. A lot of their downloads have disappeared and been replaced by a "buy it" link that goes to some yahoo's website that sells games they obviously find at yardsale's, closeouts, fleamarket's, closets, etc.

I think HOTU has a hidden agenda. A lot of their downloads have disappeared and been replaced by a "buy it" link that goes to some yahoo's website that sells games they obviously find at yardsale's, closeouts, fleamarket's, closets, etc.

Alot of the times the reason this occurs is because HOTU is asked or threated by either the developer, publisher, and lastly the wicked ESA. Which is completely legal of them to prevent of us from accessing their software without paying for it first, no matter how hopeless it seems they'll make money off of it.

P.S. Only thing I can blame HOTU for doing is leaving me in the morning without as much as a note is beyond me....But everyone has their reasons and if it truly does vanish for any reason it might encourage...Third-party enthusiam to make the scene grow.

the underdogs link is no longer working disgusted

"it's only their domain name that is expire"

You can find HOTU here: http://209.120.136.195/

fighter wrote:

"it's only their domain name that is expire"

You can find HOTU here: http://209.120.136.195/

Right but the downloads are down because the server can't create Referers, now it may or may not come back. If HOTU is gone for good this could be a major blow to the Abandonware scene in terms of massive downloads.

But also possibly a major coup for CGN haha unibrow

I wouldn't consider the loss of HOTU as a big loss... I (as well as many other non-US residents) stopped using HOTU because of it's extremely low speeds.
It takes forever to load the site and downloads wouldn't go anywhere above 3 or 4 KB per second for me.

They may have a huge database of abandonware games, but having a big database isn't all of it, if you want people to download the games from your site, you have to make sure they can and at reasonable speed and that's exactly what I like about this place.

and why they made the link so sucks?? disgusted
and why I can't download from it disgusted
also, where are the pictures?? disgusted

whatever, anyway the site was not that good, what I really miss is frenchkiss abandonware site cry baby

CGN is better than those 2 anyway, the problem is that I don't have enough credit, but not for long wink

I wouldn't consider the loss of HOTU as a big loss... I (as well as many other non-US residents) stopped using HOTU because of it's extremely low speeds.
It takes forever to load the site and downloads wouldn't go anywhere above 3 or 4 KB per second for me.

They may have a huge database of abandonware games, but having a big database isn't all of it, if you want people to download the games from your site, you have to make sure they can and at reasonable speed and that's exactly what I like about this place.

Well I understand the complaints and they're valid in every aspect, but the best way I can weild my arguement is to compare it to WWII....I see CGN as the German Panzer Divisons...It lacked numbers and even at it's height it will, but more than makes up for it with the quality of the downloads and the community support. HOTU on the other hand feels like the American Shermans which is masses and masses of downloads compared to quality of the download speeds and community support....((If you still didn't get it, HOTU's main advantage is that it has quanitity over quality...It'll draw more people for that alone. Well it did. =P))

P.S. If you think I love HOTU, that is not clearly the case. I perfer CGN just for the community support it has, and that alone will keep me coming here. However the average person looking for a download will sign up, download, and leave. You can't count them out as they make up a good portion of the enthuaists. That's my two cents..

Platypus wrote:

Well I understand the complaints and they're valid in every aspect, but the best way I can weild my arguement is to compare it to WWII....I see CGN as the German Panzer Divisons...It lacked numbers and even at it's height it will, but more than makes up for it with the quality of the downloads and the community support. HOTU on the other hand feels like the American Shermans which is masses and masses of downloads compared to quality of the download speeds and community support....((If you still didn't get it, HOTU's main advantage is that it has quanitity over quality...It'll draw more people for that alone. Well it did. =P))

P.S. If you think I love HOTU, that is not clearly the case. I perfer CGN just for the community support it has, and that alone will keep me coming here. However the average person looking for a download will sign up, download, and leave. You can't count them out as they make up a good portion of the enthuaists. That's my two cents..

I was the average person until I found out of your contribution system. The idea of helping sounded good so i decided to get into the comunity. Many of my friends like oldies and don't care if they're helping or not. That's why they prefer HOTU.

by the way, THOTU works way much faster using firefox wink

Crap... Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all... Download speeds are the same in either IE, Firefox or Opera (I have all three and I have tested it). I don't notice a difference in page loading times either.

fighter wrote:

Crap... Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all... Download speeds are the same in either IE, Firefox or Opera (I have all three and I have tested it). I don't notice a difference in page loading times either.

I agree...I was an IE Zealot for a while before I was converted to Firefox. ((Which is the same if you don't use the plugins)) and they're both the same...Only difference is in the presentation and features.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next