What game deserves flying lessons and why?

Want to talk about games or gaming? Join us here!

What game deserves flying lessons and why?

Postby timeticker » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:00 pm

We have all played frustrating games. And I don't just mean retro-games, but also newer ones. The kind of game you just wanna see in mid-air.
The reason I'm opening a topic like this is a DS game I recently bought: Dragonball Z: Goku Densetsu...

...its air-time is now approximately 41 seconds.

Let me tell you about this game; it's just another Dragonball Z game that follows the story we all know by now. And there is fighting in it...but not how you think it will be. No, instead of landing punches, you play a game of...cards.
Don't get me wrong; its older brother did a fantastic job using this kind of a fighting system on the SNES. But this one's an epic fail. And I mean epic.

First off, you can only save at the beginning of a level. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad game; retro-gaming IS playing without saving. However, the levels in DBZ: Goku Densetsu are long...and I mean long. It's like an hour of gameplay per level. If you die at the end, you die, you fail and you have to start over again. Realizing this the first time I played this game, I literally tossed the game out of the window. It servived.

Secondly, the game is random! Completely random. Since it's a card game; that makes sense but in this game, it's just painful. You can fail miserably or win absurdly. You can get good cards at the beginning of the level, fighting the weaker enemies and get lousy cards at the end of the level, facing the bosses!
You can understand my frustration regarding this game since I'm writing on and on about this game. What I like to say: don't believe the hype. There are SOME good Dragonball games out there which are pretty good, the SNES game being king. Just don't buy everygame with "Dragonball" slapped all over it. Do research before getting a DB game - we have the internet now! Use it!

Please share your game of terror! But try to leave out the obvious games such as Bayou Billy.

And don't forget to record and post the airborn-time!
---------------------------

When you're this cool...
They're out to get you...

- The Fonz -
timeticker
CGN Soldier
CGN Soldier

Re: What game deserves flying lessons and why?

Postby dgsige » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:56 pm

I dunno how much time these games spent flying, and they're amazing games but their rage-inducing difficulty made them fly:

Godhand (ps2)
Smt: nocturne (ps2)
Timesplitters 2 (ps2)

Crappy games aren't even worth the effort of throwing.
"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hit man or a video gamer."--Jack Thompson. The lowest IQ human being ever.
dgsige
CGN Soldier
CGN Soldier

Postby KnuxTheFox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:41 am

"Just don't buy everygame with "Dragonball" slapped all over it."

I thought most people learned their lesson when Dragonball GT: Ultimate Battle 22 was released in the US. I'd rather play an AOL trial disc; they fly further.

"Timesplitters 2 (ps2)"
c'mon! That was a fun multiplayer game, though the single or co-op play was frustrating, especially that level where you had to follow the person without being noticed and sneak into the hideout, but eventually my friends and I got it and could do it fairly easily...of course half a day of practice from previous attempts made us pros at it.
KnuxTheFox
CGN Starter
CGN Starter

Postby timeticker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:30 am

Trial discs do indeed fly further; thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Recently I bought the very first Driver; years ago I played this game at a friends place, just a few days after the release. We were all psyched about this game and really wanted to give it a try.

Boy, did we regret that. The training level is almost impossible to beat! We started the game around noon and we finished the training level at 5:00 PM! And we weren't that bad in gaming; the tight controls, the fact you weren't allowed to make any mistakes, and the fact that your car could only take a few hits made this game terrible. It's not even getting more fun after this training level. The game sucked balls then and it sucks balls now.

I still can't beat that friggin' training level on my own! :\
---------------------------

When you're this cool...
They're out to get you...

- The Fonz -
timeticker
CGN Soldier
CGN Soldier

Postby KnuxTheFox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 am

Driver 2 was a lot better, and added the ability to get out of the car. Also you could jump right into the game without going through training missions. You could even jump right into "Free Ride" and drive around Chicago. I love driving through Wrigley....take that Cubs...oh wait. That goat curse strikes again!
KnuxTheFox
CGN Starter
CGN Starter

Postby r8a » Thu May 21, 2009 10:28 am

Driver for PC and Driv3r...

try those without cheating and you will pretty much be knocking your limbs/head against any near wall/glass/surface
r8a
CGN Member
CGN Member

Return to Gaming Talk